Here is what we seek to accomplish together with you:
- Help homeless youth obtain self-sufficiency.
- Ensure stability in our young people’s lives.
- Provide non-judgmental guidance.
- Help youth experience a healthy family dynamic.
- Provide the necessary skills and resources to succeed.
- Instill a sense of belonging through a faith-based approach.
We see potential in our youth they don’t yet see in themselves. Their success lies in building relationships of trust.
As caring mentors, we facilitate a hand-UP, not a hand out.
Ann (age 17) has been on and off, mostly on, the streets as long as she can remember. Her mother, who’s fighting a losing battle with heroin, can’t take care of herself let alone provide the direction and support Ann needs.
We recently found Ann crunched in a fetal position, sobbing uncontrollably in the far corner of our clothing room. She was coming down from a week-long drug binge.
“They were giving drugs to me for free,” she said. “I haven’t eaten in a week.”
With some compassion and listening we then offered Ann food and clean clothes provided through Transitional Youth. After further words of hope and encouragement, Ann gradually began to wipe away her tears.
We still see Ann through ongoing contact but it’s not the same sobbing girl in the corner. Now, we see a young woman of resolve, moving forward to build a better life.