Inspired by the desperate needs of kids living on the streets in Portland, Transitional Youth was founded in 1991 by Bert E. Waugh, Jr. This non-profit organization was created to bring meaningful assistance to local homeless youth.
Transitional Youth has experienced tremendous growth since its inception. We’ve evolved from assisting other local homeless youth service providers to providing residential housing and a full spectrum of resources that not long ago had only been dreams. Tens of thousands of dollars and material goods have been donated, and thousands of young lives have been touched.
Transitional Youth’s History (so far!):
- 1991: Transitional Youth (TY) is founded by Bert Waugh, Jr. by supporting other nonprofit organizations working with homeless youth, financially & through volunteers.
- 1991–2004: TY provided financial & volunteer support to over a dozen non-profits.
- 1994–2000: TY volunteers supported and ran the Salvation Army Greenhouse Chapel ministry, allowing for added days each week plus youth retreats and special events.
- 2000–2006: The Salvation Army closed Greenhouse but permitted TY to continue, on its own, using space in their 9th & SW Oak building in Portland, Oregon USA
- 2006: Opened Junction House in Vancouver, Washington USA.
- 2006–2008: Rented space for the Outreach Center in the Volunteers of America building on 6th and SE Alder in Portland.
- 2007: Hired our first Outreach Director.
- 2008: Relocated to First Baptist Church’s Theater property on SW Taylor in Portland when Volunteers of America needed their space for a new program.
- 2009: Moved to First Baptist’s main building on SW 11th Avenue in Portland.
- 2009: Opened Home on the Range, in Battle Ground, Washington USA in partnership with Royal Ridges Retreat Center.
- 2011: Received a human resource grant from The M.J. Murdock Charitable Trust and hired our second Executive Director.
- 2011: Began a partnership with Medical Teams International’s Mobile Dental Van to provide monthly dental care to at-risk and homeless youth.
- 2012: Opened the Westside House, adjacent to the Beaverton Foursquare campus in Beaverton, Oregon USA. The house and all utilities are provided by the church.
- Present: What will you do today to further the mission of Transitional Youth so we can “run the race” together?